SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM INFORMATION
COMTO Colorado will award up to 10 scholarships for the 2019-2020 academic year to students who express an interest in pursuing college studies in a transportation-related field. The scholarship award may be used for tuition, books, and/or room and board expenses.
High School Students who plan to attend accredited college, university or trade school and major in the following or related disciplines:
- Archaeology and/or Cultural Resources
- Civil, Chemical, Structural, Mechanical and/or Electrical Engineering
- Computer Science
- Construction Engineering Technology
- Construction and/or Construction Management
- Environmental Science and related Studies
- Geology and/or Geotechnical Engineering
- Public Information and Outreach Programs
- Security Systems
- Urban Planning
- Vehicle Design and Maintenance
- Computer Aided Design (CAD)
- Heating and Air Conditioning (HVAC)
- Hydraulics and/or Elevator Mechanics
- Diesel Mechanics
Scholarship Award Process
COMTO Colorado will award a check for the scholarship amount made payable to the student and sent to the institution to which the student will be attending. The recipient must provide COMTO with a copy of his/her college enrollment registration along with the address of the school’s financial aid officer prior to the check being mailed. The student must provide his/her student account number with this information. The scholarship must be used during the 2019-2020 academic year or any remaining funds will be forfeited.
Eligible applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be a graduating high school senior entering a regionally accredited college or university in the year the scholarship is applied for. Scholarships are awarded only to those who graduate from high school in the calendar year in which scholarships are presented.
- Be currently enrolled, in good standing and maintaining at least a 2.5 grade point average through the 2018-2019 academic year.
- Complete the full COMTO Colorado application process by the designated deadline.
- Enrolled in any state-approved high school.
To be considered, fully completed application form and accompanying documentation must be mailed to COMTO Colorado by February 28, 2019.
SCHOLARSHIP AWARD CRITERIA
Selection of recipients of COMTO Colorado Scholarships will be made by a panel appointed by the COMTO Colorado Scholarship Committee.
The following scoring system will apply:
15 points Grade Point Average
4.0 – 3.5 (15 pts)
>3.5 – 3.0 (13 pts)
>3.0 – 2.5 (11 pts)
20 points Personal Essay
Essay will be scored based on content, grammar, spelling, flow of ideas and applicant’s answers to the COMTO Colorado required essay questions.
10 points Participation in activities related to career goal
15 points Two (2) Letters of Recommendation
15 points High School Citizenship
Attendance, rules followed for school, awards received, participation, volunteer work performed, outside school involvement (jobs, clubs, etc.)
25 points Individual Interview
The same set of questions will be asked of each applicant, by the same committee.
Review the COMTO Colorado Scholarship program rules and instruction below before starting the application process. Complete the Scholarship Application online or download the application and mail it in.
1. Personal Essay from Applicant
Write an essay (500 to 700 words), typewritten using size 12 font, which includes answers to the following:
a. Why you chose your planned field of study?
b. How do you think your coursework and life experiences have helped you prepare for your college studies and the future?
c. Explain why you are an excellent candidate for this scholarship.
d. What else you would like to tell the Scholarship Selection Committee to help it make a decision about your scholarship application.
Note: In preparing your personal essay (as well as preparing for your interview), consider how you can most effectively convey your best qualities.
2. Two Letters of Recommendation
Letters may be provided by teachers, school staff, employers, coaches, etc. The person submitting the letter should state how he or she knows you and your ability to benefit from the scholarship. Letters from family members will not be accepted.
3. Counselor Endorsement Form
If a counselor was used in the submittal for number two, a different counselor must provide the endorsement form.
If letters or forms are sent separately, it is up to the applicant to ensure all materials have been sent by the deadline, February 28, 2019.